Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Fishing Escapade

Malau originally invited us to fish with him at this fishing spot that he discovered in Tuas.
But he had promised to send everyone of us back home, because he was going to leave at about 1am... So, that's why i think he decided to change the spot to one in the East, so it would be easier for him.

I'm not blaming him or anything.. I think that was a pretty damn good solution.. haha.. Cheers bro... :D

So I things got pretty heated up at home cuz my mom was thinking about my schedule. I was going fishing tonite. Then supposedly again I was going again on Saturday. Followed by a quickie(fishing) at Ubin from 7 am to about 1pm.. Then it was to go over to Uncle Michael's new Chalet to prepare for Jacqueline's BDay.. But that's another story...

This story rite now is damn spooky man.. lol.. at least when i played it back in my head.

So i was super early that day. (I always seem to be early when it doesn't matter and late when it does.) Gary was super late.. haha... The Lorry driver and his tumpang-ees were on time..

Saw propunk at Gary's shop.

We waited in the Lorry for Gary while Ice helped me buy some Char Siew Rice and Oldman pointed out his expensive and fragile new fishing rod....

Long story short, I bought the Sarong Worms, Malau bought the prawns. Ice brought some dead prawns.

We reached this super ULU spot that had this sign, "No Trespassing" pasted very "vaguely" on the fence that blocked surrounded this spot.



Gary casted in the direction of the green line.

Malau and I took turns between the yellow and red lines..

As you can see, we fished at the place designated "Our spot". Oldman, however, being the si beh hardcore lurer that he is decided to go luring at the place designated, "Land of Stones", which is basically this... arrggh!!! just see the drawing below.. lol...

It's perfectly squared btw...

We all had our rods set up... Ice had alreayd caught 2 catfish, and I had lost this damn active fish that came to the surface of the water then jumped off the hook. Bastard. lol. I'm thinking KBL.. It was in the direction of the Red line.. (See picture above the previous one)

Anywayz, suddenly after Gary had just cast out his rod, it started shaking violently... It was like a very strong crab bite but it lasted for quite long. Gary immediately ran to the rod and tried to strike, but came up empty handed, with the live prawns wiped clean from the hooks.

Malau and I get small nibbles thruout the nite, Icebomb get's no more than those 2 duris, but Gary's rod continues to get these strong "bites".

About half an hour had past and all of us were getting pretty Du Lan-except Malau who couldn't becuz it was his spot- Gary with his never ending "bites", me with my never ending nibbles, and Ice with his lack of any action after those first 2 fish.

So i suggested that we go over to where Oldman was fishing. Besides, he had already recce-ed up till the bridge area there, wat was the harm in fishing at the "Land of Stones". So Ice and I (Gary said he wasn't up for anymore trekking tonite), went to Oldman's spot and began to cast out our lines in the direction of the boat dock...

Within about a minute of casting, i found that my line had gotten stuck presumably behind some rocks. I tried shifting spots to try and tug it out... My line eventually burst.. So i told Ice and Oldman that i was going back and they said that they too were going back(to the place labelled "Our Spot").

Me, being the kind of guy who get's lazy when he sees the end is near and there's not gonna be any action up till when the end comes, i decided to keep one rod. Then i saw the others packing up too, I decided, hell.. I might as well keep my other rod too...

Oldman went to sleep. It's what he usually does when he thinks a spot is dead.

That's when Gary asked if i would mind giving the multiplier a go and see how far we could cast out... I said sure... So he fixed this glo stik on to a weight, and then he casted it out.

It wasn't too bad for a first timer.. haha..
Then Ice tried it, and he got some bee hoon.. Haha..

The thing I like about this reel was that it's always way easier to unentangle birds nest.
So after detangling my line. I took a turn.

I released the lock lever, positioned the rod, and bam i casted out.. Damn it went far.. haha... 60-70 metres perhaps?

Gary also commented on how far it was.. haha..

So i began to reel it back in when we heard Oldman say he was feeling sick... We all gave him a one over and tot it was just sleep deprivation. So we tried to show our concern but also to tell him that the best thing was to just go back to sleep.

I was in about half way of reeling back the weight at the end of the line when Ice and I heard Oldman saying in a weak whisper: "Guys, I'm not kidding."

Ice didn't do anything, probably still thinking it was the sleep.. But I saw that he was looking worse and so i told Gary and malau about it...

I had already began to suspect that one way or another, we would have to be leaving this place quickly so i probably looked pretty self-absorbed as i tried to reel in my line as fast as i could.

He was in a cold sweat and could barely speak. Gary gave him some water and two panadols. The rest of us went back to packing up our stuff as fast as we could. All of us including Gary did the same.

Then as I was packing my stuff. I heard Oldman whispering again.. Even weaker that the first time. In fact, he could hardly move this time. He was calling out for Malau... So I told malau to go see what he wants..

Funny how it seemed that i was the only one that could hear him. Anyway, he began mumbling and babbling on until Malau had to go in real close to try and understand him. That's when we heard it.

"Two Dollar note...."

I had heard this phrase before.. That's when Gary started taking out a $2 note from his wallet and Malau quickly hurried us to pack up and told Gary that we were going to carry the stuff back first. Gary waited for us to leave before doing whatever it is that he did. But he didn't take his eyes of the $2 note that was now plastered, Singapore logo down, on Oldman's forehead.

That's when Ice asked what it was that they were doing. Malau told him to shush and continue packing. About a minute later... Ice asked the same question.. Malau then told him firmly...

"Ice.. Shut up."

Now that i think back about it.. it was pretty funny.. because about a minute after that, Ice asked the same question again.. wahaha..

Malau was like, "Ice. Please. Be quiet."

Anywayz.. we finished packing up and managed to carry everything there, including Oldman's and some of Gary's gear back to the Lorry. On the way, Ice asked me what it was they were doing. I told him that it was some buddhist thing and he kept quiet. We finished transferring all the gear to the lorry, and carefully put Oldman's expensive rod down.....

After Malau had made it clear that Ice was to stay and wait for us in the lorry, he and I went to get help Oldman and Gary back to the lorry. We were about half way there when we saw Gary and Oldman walking back towards us.

It was like nothing had ever happened.

We went to ask Oldman if he was OK but he said "Let's just get out of this place..."


So we quickly left and drove to Changi V for some coffee and to talk about what had just happened. Malau and Gary ended up telling us some stories from their army days too.. haha

After that, at about 2 am, Malau sent me to the chalet and went to send the rest of them home.

Cheers bro.

EDIT: On my boat trip the other day(one of my nexts posts), it turns out many of us knew that spot before, but just from a different angle. lol..

More to come...

No comments: