Monday, May 09, 2005

BJ... BJ... BJT

Pretty interesting day again today.

Fished at a new spot along BJT. Had 2 rods, on separate occasions, nearly pulled into the sea. The first was my stiff 9 footer. I swear it was a Ray. I swear it... tap. tap. pull. (where pull was literally tipping my stiff rod over.) As i had just only set up, the drag was not set as i was looking for a bell first. The only thing is, the bugger pulled for 2 seconds then apparently let go. In light of a previous similar situation, i decided to wait and see if it would bite again. In my confusion, i failed to notice the line was already slacked. And so it was for 5 minutes till i noticed my mistake.

sidenote: I didn't, and will never use a bell with that reel again. (The reel has a clicker.)

[edited]
Right before the second incident, i noticed three chiobu-s on bikes riding along the jetty. (To any foreigners reading this blog, ChioBu is a Hokkien word[at least i think it's Hokkien{Hokkien's a Chinese dialect}] for gorgeous/beautiful women. In Singapore, such women are very rare so when we say ChioBu, we really mean: "cute, pretty little thing", something of which we have quite a number.) Anywayz, i'm trying to get up to get a better look up when i overhear her conversation with her friends. It went something like this.

Girl 1(Prettiest of them all): I was here the other day with some friends. Our hair actually stood up. You know? The static and all. It was going to rain somemore...
Girls 2&3: (mumbles in acknowledgement)

I'm not quite sure if that's the Exact order of the conversation but only despite the numerous factual errors, these three things overshadowed everything else. Rain. Static. And the fact that we were outdoors. Let's jsut forget about rain and assume she was talking gibberish about that one because she was mesmerised by my hunkiness, my suaveness, my charm, my chivalry, my.... darn.. day dreaming again.. Anyway, with just the other two facts. Static and outdoors. If there's so much static outdoors that it can cause ur hair to stand, that's some serious shit. It's akin to casually talking about someone raping you, while cycling down a jetty in a park. That's something you should talk about in a newspaper.

Anywayz, I didn't laugh to loudly and I didn't laugh at all when we saw them again at another location because i don't want to make her feel stupid, etc... You get what i mean.. I continue....
[/edited]

The second was with my jigs and a light rod. Having given up on ever catching that elusive, presumed, ray, and the pointlessness of getting Tambans(White Herrings. i think it's that.) as bait for a fish i apparently wasn't going to catch, I set my feathered jigs all the way to the bottom of the otherside of the jetty, where there appeared to be no baitfish. An hour goes by, and me and a friend are sitting around this fishing rod, talking, when suddenly, out of the blue, my rod tip made a full U-Turn. We turned to each other, literally with mouths wide open, but when we stood up, the line snapped. Upon further inspection, the line was cut, very cleanly, along a place of no weakness, meaning, not along a knot or anything. I swear it was a cuda or a small ray. I swear sia....

Dansen, my friend, tried using his own jigs. But nothing happened. So we gave up and left for the "nearby" hawker centre, leaving the fishes to themselves, while i enjoyed a nice "tumbler" of sweet, sweet, Bandung. (Rose syrup mixed with carnation milk, and some water.)

No comments: