Friday, January 12, 2007

PHP Developers

Headed out to Brewerks for the PHP User Group meeting and as usual it was raining cats and dogs.

Starting to flood

Only 3 of us were there excluding a non-participant. I guess it was because of the rain.

An Indian national came down. He didn't know what PHP was and didn't seem interested in learning about PHP. Fulfilling the stereotype, he came only to sell his product and his services. He pointed the organiser to visit many websites on his laptop which was connected to the net and then proceeded to ask us if we were able to crack proprietary embedded software so that he could sell it, on behalf of us of course... repeatedly.

The 3rd guy, a business man familiar with the local software scene but not any good at programming came down about half an hour after the Indian national left apparently had to leave to go cook food for his roommates.

I'm becoming a cam whore.

This 3rd guy was really knowledgeable about handling an idea and with the organiser's practical experience in the field, the stage was set. There are loads of interesting things that we are hoping to start in the local PHP community.

From those few hours I learnt quite a few interesting things from the organiser(although in brief). I was going to implement them in FishingKaki the next day but my school (Singapore Poly) had other plans for my schedule so that unfortunately will come later.

Some of the things that we discussed included how PHP developers were in short supply. This actually shocked me because I thought that there would be a healthy supply of them. Now I'm trying to teach Sam some PHP but he doesn't seem interested. I also invited Chen Shan to join this user group and we'll see where this goes.


Beauty of the midnight train

Left the place very close to midnight and managed to take one of the last few trains.

No comments: