Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Gatsby! Gatsby! Gatsby!

I now have 4 HDDs on my com.
2 60GBs.
1 80GB.
1 120GB.
and a 1 temporary 200GB Hard Disk Drive.

Why so much u might ask?
Well, let's just say that the world of cyberspace is a big place. And I too, do contribute to it's size.

And all this while not using the RAID Functions in my RAID Card.

For those of you who don't know what RAID is, it's Redundant Array of Independant Disks.
It's basically 2-4 disks that have all the same data so that if one fails, you have a backup and a current one at that.

However, since it's creation, the RAID Card has had more functions added to it such as mirroring and striping. So now it isn't really jsut about having 4 disks with the same data. There is also another function where you can write to 2-4 disks simultaneously, splitting the data between the two HDDs, so that read and write time is faster. (Analogy: Two hands writing instead of one.)

Well enough of that.

I'm currently staking out good deals for 3Mbit "Always-on" connections for my web server.

My mother cannot even remember things. She owed me $20 but held me to a bargain that i'd have to clean up my room before she gave it to me. She even made me sign a contract for good measure. Imagine my surprise when that contract actually made good for me. She denied that she ever owed me $20 and then changed her stance to that she had already given it to me. Uterlly useless. I had to show her the contract that she made me sign just to show that she did owe me money. Talk about irony.

And this reminds me of a certain MS Chee. With second name that rhymed with hi but is the just the opposite in terms of meaning. bodoh sia...


With regard to this blog, CK tot i was talking about him with regard to F1. The part about ppl who make unfounded statements on Michael Schumacher. haha.. but i don even remember him saying anything to do with that leh.. haha..

Anyway, major overhaul on my system. A continuation of what was mentioned above...

I've got five fans in my system of which 3 are really powerful. 3 different light setups also so now my computer looks very "chio". :p One long red tube(standalone), 4 Blue Leds on one fan, and one long circle around another. Let me just tell u this. My power supply has only four Molex connectors(The HDD & Atapi CD/DVD power connectors.). I've made my own Y-Connectors(Power splitters) to give it a grand total of 15 female end connectors. Can u imagine the strain the PSU must be taking? But i enjoy pushing my machine to it's limit.

All my PCI slots are full and i still have some more PCI-Brackets for other stuff...

I've overclocked my CPU to 2.65GHz, gave it a 0.2++ voltage increase, increased the Clock Cycles of the DDR 400Mhz SDRam accordingly and gave it a 0.1 voltage increase.

I've set the Dynamic APM on all my drives to as fast as possible and am currently going to *convert* all my drives to SATA.

I'm also making plans for all the new bits of technology that are slated for release soon. DDR2, Dual Core 64bit chips. CPUs with 8Mb l1 cache(taking longer than expected). And the day when 2Mb l2 cache becomes a standard thing on CPUs.

I've seen a Linux stand-up server going for $1488. It's damn cheap. 3Ghz Pentium processor. 1GB ECC DDR RAM. 80GB HDD. 1000 Mbps Giganet connection plus support for 100Mbit and 10Mbit connections. It's brilliant basically. It runs on Fedora Core, a linux distro. I'm aiming to add that to my arsenal. If I can get enough, maybe I can make my pwn program so that it can support clustering and I can get my own Super MainFrame!!! Who know what the future may hold.


I'm also saving up for the Intel XEON. I'll probably be the only person to have a XEON processor for a desktop computer!! haha... But what can i say.. I like broad bandwidths. :-)

Now i do realise that some of you may not have the foggiest of what i just said. But bear with me as i gloat about my new "cravings" and unwittingly display my technological prowess and superiority over you. :P

On a similar note. Is it just me or is that everytime one re-installs windows(not Linux, just windows) that for the first few hours since the installation, serious memory leakage begins to appear? I've tried it with an AMD Processor although it is an old one, an AMD k6 3d-266. I wonder if that's the actual core memory leakage that is so prevailent on the pentium class CPUs. It's very disconcerting.

Anyway, my next computer will probably be(if it's before the advent of dual core processors), an AMD based machine, with a 64bit processor. I have yet to fully grasp the relationship between the actual performance variables and results between similiarly rated Pentiums and AMD CPUs. I'll probably ask one of my frens who is not as knowleadgeable about computers as yours truly but is definitely better with newer generation AMDs. (disregard previous statement if you don't like show-offs. Then again, better not read this blog. haha) What happened to the Cyrix CPU and the other one whose name I forget... C'mon guys. Give Intel and AMD a run for their money. Help us to drive their prices down!

I'm looking for spare P4 parts so anyone selling cheap... u know wat to do.
fusionstream at gmail dot com.
I've got an old p4 board here that's lying dormant and i can't wait to see the power run thru it's veins again!

Cheers. :-)

FusionStream, out.

No comments: