Wednesday, January 04, 2006

An old spot revisited.

Short talk: Microsoft are realeasing a bug fix for their WMF Vulnerability.

Ubin Night Fishing

Bottomline: Catfish and some Gelama(Croakers) were all that I caught

I had a plan; Ice and I were supposed to follow Nick for netcasting from about 5 pm to about 6 where we would then go and have our dinner after which we were to take the boat to Pulau Ubin.

I had also anticipated that it would begin to rain only after we had left the netcasting place.

So I didn't bring my coat.

KNN!!!! Every single time I don't bring my coat it will rain and everytime I DO bring my coat it won't. Regardless of the the weather reports and what they say. Every single time.

I was fucking drenched.

Anywayz, Nick was kind enuf to give us some of his catch to use as bait our trip later.

For some reason or other, I ended up spending $70 fucking Singapore dollars on God knows what. I was waiting at the bumboat jetty with Ice and I was like checking my wallet [cuz the cost of a bumboat is usually shared by 12 ppl. So I wanted to check if I had enuf money as there were only two of us so that meant a cost of $24 dollars to be shared between us both. Thankfully though, the boat uncle and auntie gave us a discount of $12]. Then I was like, "Shit! Where did all my money go?".

Oh well... Broke.. Again...

I'm looking for a part time job... Anyone got lobang please call me. Thanks..

When we reached the main jetty, I saw this "weathered" Malay man sitting on the benched along the jetty. I said hello and asked if he was waiting for the boat.

"Oh.. no.. I sleep here."

I was like.. wtf!!! Although I smiled politely all the way.

He started talking to us about how his house was a little way from here but there were mosquitoes. He also mentioned that his wife was inside. OMG!! lol..

Then he started talking about how the Singapore Government are assholes who take so much money for themselves. Then he praised them for bringing in foreign talent because that was simply so that other countries would not start a war with us claiming that they had original rights to the land.

Speaking of which, he then started an interesting conversation on who really found Singapore first. Apparently, the dinosaurs and monkeys were the first to discover Singapore and hence are the true owners of the land. All this happened about 400 years ago.

Which then brought him on to the topic of religion. Where he commented on how irritating it was when Christians wanted to evangelise. Then he went on about how we both originally served the same God. Except that when Jesus came, we believe that he is God whereas they simply believe that he is a prohphet.

Then he began talking about how one of these days(within the next three years apparently), he and some kaki(ca/key - Singapore slang for good friends), would take back Singapore by force from any aggresors including the Singapore Gahmen(Singapore slang for - Government).

I'll admit he did have a point in most of what he was saying but for Pete's sake, he was living in in a tent out on an old jetty. His wife was alone at home in their apparently mosquito infested house. He doesn't have a steady job. When the good fish season is in, he guides ppl to good spots. He manages boat trips for people. And when the season is out, he works for kelongs for about $70 a day.

I guess it's just me then if I say that I appreciate and enjoy the little conveniences that we have in Singapore like oh, say, running clean water, 24 hrs supermarkets, one of the best public transport systems in the world and a country with a very low number of homeless citizens(not as low as advertised but still low).

I'll admit it's a bit hard to cope with but if you can make it, then you really can make it. If you get what I mean.

uh-oh. I digressed again... :P

Anywayz, the highlights of this trip were that Ice bot this super light rod that let him have a good fight with, get this, Gelamas... wahahaha...

We ended up getting a number of catfish and one big flower crab(The meat is sweeter than mud crabs but is less. way less.). And my rod had one huge take which amounted to nothing even though I was using circle hooks(Don't need to stike. Auto hookup when the fish bites).

Took some pictures though.





My next trip will hopefully include some videos because it's going to be a KELONG TRIP!!! Woohoo!!! haha... :D

No comments: